As with any device, it's important that you set-up a new Android smartphone or tablet properly before sharing it with a child. This ensures not only that the device will work for them and have their favourite content, but also that the appropriate limits and restrictions are in place to ensure a safe and healthy experience.
The following steps are required:
- Set-Up Device with User and Passwords
- Configure Screen Time
- Set-Up Age Limits
- Set-Up Spending Passwords
Set-Up Device with User and Passwords
This ensures you can access your apps, messages, family content and game saves. It's worth noting that, unlike consoles, smartphones and tablets are designed for use by a single person so additional care should be taken with the device and your password once it has been set up:
- Log On to Wifi and update system as required.
- Add User Account via your Google Email.
- Restore from a backup or start as a new device.
- Ensure you specify a PIN Code
Configure Screen Time, Age Limits and Spending Passwords
Once you have your phone or tablet setup and online you can download the Family Link app on your device. This enables you to set-up how your children access their devices from a central control panel.
Work through the settings for each of the accounts in your family to set the following:
- Age Limits for games based on PEGI ratings.
- Limits for specific apps.
- Communication limits.
- Screen time limits for specific apps and scheduled use periods.
- Ensure you have a password on your parent account to control purchases.